Pages

Podcasts

Thursday, February 26, 2015

So I'm assuming the majority of the people reading this have either listened to, or heard of the Serial podcast. And I'm sure most of you would agree that you would maybe have never listened to a podcast ever in your life if it weren't for this insanely amazing and gripping whodunit series. If you haven't yet ventured into the rabbit hole that is Serial, consider this your official recommendation.


In case you don't know the basics of it, journalist Sarah Koenig dives into a murder trial that happened in 1999 in Baltimore, Maryland. Seventeen year old Adnan Syed was convicted of murdering his high school girlfriend (Hai Min Lee) by strangulation. The crazy thing is that there is zero physical evidence, and shaky circumstantial evidence tying him to it. As you listen to each episode, your mind will SPIN. One episode you are certain of who did it, the next you are in disbelief that this poor kid (now man) is in prison for murder. It's like Law & Order meets CSI on steroids.

It. Is. Awesome.

And I may have moderately ignored my children and husband for large chunks of time when I was in the deepest. Sorry I'm not sorry.

But for those of you who are currently mourning with me that it is over, perhaps I can offer you some encouragement in the podcast grieving department.

1. Apparently there will be a season 2 of Serial (YESSSSSSSSS!) 

and

2. I have another one to maybe fill the void for you in the meantime.


NPR Invisibilia

I am only three podcasts in, but if you are in the mood to nerd out to psychology-ish type topics, then this is for you. It's easy to follow, super fascinating, and will make you think so much about what makes us human and why we do the things we do. For instance, the first episode was about categories and how we, as humans, have this intrinsic need to put people and things into categories. They interviewed a man who would flip into what he referred to as "guy mode" and "girl mode" on a daily basis. You may think that this would mean he is transgender, but as you listen you will find out that it is so much more, and make you realize how crazy and difficult it would be to not have a gender category you felt like you fit into. Another episode discusses how some people believe computers are changing how we function as humans and how perhaps several decades from now, humans will be so drastically different because of technology that we might be unrecognizable to people today.

Am I complete nerd for loving to listen to this? I don't even care.

I was also psyched (pun intended) to see Lauren Conrad's recent top 10 favorite podcasts. A lot of these look so good!

While none of these can fill the Serial hole in my heart, I'm excited to dig into a few of these until it's back. And maybe you too?

xoxo














No comments:

Post a Comment