Pages

Quick Dinners

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Since we are all cooped up inside during these cold winter days, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite go-to, easy dinners we've had lately. Emphasis on easy. These are also picky husband/kid friendly. 


Peanut Sauce Pasta and Chicken


Original recipe via 

I dumbed this way down for my family's dislike of veggies in pasta. And in order to get my kids to try it (they ended up loving), I called it "peanut butter noodles." Peanut butter? Good. Noodles? Good. See ya, pasta. I also like adding steamed broccoli to this, while my non-food-touching children eat it on the side.

2 cups boiled linguini (I use whole wheat but you could use regular)
2-3 chicken breasts
crushed peanuts (I put in a ziplock and pound lightly with a mallet)

For the sauce:

2 T peanut butter
2 T sesame oil
2 T soy sauce
1 T brown sugar
1 tsp sesame seeds

Directions: Boil noodles, set aside. Chop up chicken and grill in a skillet pan with a splash of soy sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, and salt/pepper, then add to noodles. Combine all ingredients for sauce and pour over/toss in with the noodles and chicken. 


Grape, Avocado and Arugula Salad


Original recipe via 

If you aren't following Gimme Some Oven on Instagram or reading their blog, do so immediately! Incredible recipes and some of the best salads I've found to date. I realize this one may not fall into the easy shmeezy category, but it's fantastic for lunch the following days after you make it! Which makes me feel better about making my own dressing (which is totally worth it). We also add rotisserie or grilled chicken to this to make it more filling.


Salad:

  • 6 cups fresh arugula, loosely packed
  • 2 cups halved seedless grapes, red or green or a mix
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
  • half a small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • balsamic vinaigrette (ingredients below)
Vinagrette:


  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or traditional balsamic vinegar)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey or agave nectar, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper 

Slow Cooker Honey BBQ Chicken


Original recipe via 

Our favorite way to eat this is over baked potatoes with cheese on top! But can also be eaten on a bun with or without coleslaw. 

3 chicken breasts
1 18 oz bottle honey BBQ sauce
1/2 C Italian dressing
1/4 C brown sugar
2 T worcestershire sauce

Throw it all in the CP for 6-8 hrs on low or 3-4 hrs on high. 




In case you couldn't tell, my way of beating the winter blues is eating my feelings in carbs and girl scout cookies (not pictured).

Happy cooking!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment